Today marks the 20th anniversary of the death of Selena, and as I think about the Latin sensation who served as a major influence in my life, I remember that there are plenty of children who may not be as familiar with the talented singer, whose life was taken away from her at the young age of 23.
In her short life, Selena was able to impact thousands of people with her music, personality and dance moves, in addition to breaking records for Mexican musicians. She was loved by many, and her death was truly a loss to the Latin community.
In celebration of her life and music, here’s some of my favorite Selena tracks:
1. “Como La Flor” – If you don’t understand Spanish, look up the translation. While it doesn’t translate as great as the Spanish version, the words alone are deep. On this song, Selena is singing about a love she lost, and how much it hurts – but nonetheless she wishes him the best.
2. “Bidi Bidi Bom Bom” – This song used to make me dance all day at home. Very different than the pain she expresses in the previous song – on this track – Selena sings about the song her heart sings, every time she sees her love. A fast heartbeat that she’s unable to control. Watch the live performance below.
3. “Baila Esta Cumbia” – Another dance track. This song makes it hard to keep yourself from moving, as she sings about the rhythm of the music that makes you want to dance.
4. “Amor Prohibido” – Definitely a fan favorite, this song is about two lovers who don’t care what the world, their parents or anyone has to say. This song hit close to home for Selena, as her father did not approve her relationship with her guitarist. He later accepted him, after he and Selena eloped. Watch the video below:
5. “I Could Fall in Love” – At the time of her murder, Selena was working on an English album, which was released as a posthumous album. This track, had so much passion that you could feel as Selena showed off her vocal capabilities to people outside of the Latin community.
We love you forever and always beautiful. Rest peacefully.